Thursday, February 19, 2009

My journey as a Technical Writer

I started my career teaching English to a bunch of students at a College. I then moved on to become a Technical Support Analyst. I am now a Technical Writer for the past three years.

Those days are fresh in my memory when my senior at University used to make me sit next to him and tell me what he does as a Technical Writer. He was sure I was only going to waste a few years by becoming a Technical Support Analyst. Looking back, I don't regret my stint as an Analyst. As an analyst, I had learnt the art of gathering requirements well; of understanding the concerns of a Client; of coordinating with onsite teams. My performance now both as a writer and as a member of a team is largely driven by my experience I gathered there.

When I became a Technical Writer one day, I was new to the field. I owe a lot to the team of senior writers who mentored me patiently for a few months.

If you are wondering why I am putting all this down, then I would sum it up this way. Technical Writer doesn't come to someone on its own. One must first develop a flair for such writing. Second, one must read up as much as one can to gear up for it. Third, one must be lucky to get good mentors. Finally, one must work in atmospheres that allow you to assimilate the kind of experience that you need to become a good Technical Writer. Not all of us are lucky to have a combination of all of these things. But a fair degree of all of these things are definitely a must for someone who aspires to become a good Technical Writer.

This write-up is dedicated to all those Technical Writers out there that have a smile on their faces even as they brace themselves up for this recession. My Good Luck to all of you!

No comments: