Thursday, February 19, 2009

I'm growing old!

For literature folks out there, here's a bit from a very famous peom:
"I'm growing old,
I must wear the bottom of my trousers rolled!"

Let me narrate to you what happened recently with me. I teach guitar to a few friends in my leisure time. Some of them are youngsters who just finished their college. They keep requesting me to play songs from the latest Hindi flicks. I was amazed to notice that I hardly would have listened to the songs they tell me. I would not even know the name of the movie or the cast when mentioned.

I go back to my school days for a moment now. Half of you, I am sure, will share this feeling with me. In those days, I would know every movie up for release. Would sing along every song from all the famous movies of the time. What is more, even today, if a song is played from that era, I would surprisingly remember all the lyrics by heart.

What has happened to me now. Why am I losing track of music so badly. It occurs to me that this is probably the School. How we forget everything about our school. It is simply because of the friends at school and our enthu for everything that made us so lovely, bubbly, cheerful, and versatile.

Maybe it is Office and Home that occupies our time. Maybe we have forgotten those small little ways of enjoying our life. Maybe we have become too busy for all these things. Not sure which of these is the reason. For a moment, my life came to a stand still thinking about all these things.

Do these things occur to you sometimes? How do you folks react to this? What is your take on such situations? Would love to read from you. And those who recognised the poem on the top of this post, do share it with me. My heart will be filled with joy to know someone is reading literature even after a busy day's work.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

correct quote is--
I grow old … I grow old …
I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled.